Bike Shopping!

I've been itching to get my own bike!  Yes I like Roxy (my BF's bike) but there is nothing like riding your own, or so I'd imagine.  Main reasons I want my own...here comes another list!:

1.  If I drop it, it's my own bike, so whatever!
2.  I want something that is more beginner friendly.  The 600cc bike I practice on right now makes me a tad nervous.  If I make a mistake, I'd be F***ED!
3.  I just want one dammit!

I don't have a clue as to how to buy a motorcycle.  What kinds of things do I look for?  What are good questions to ask?  What's a reasonable price for a used 250cc bike?  How can I tell that the seller is nothing but a douchebag and trying to take my money?  You know, stuff like that.  So of course I researched it!  One of my favorite websites is http://www.stevemunden.com/firstbike.html.  This guy is damn cool.  He's a math and science tutor AND he's an instructor for motorcycling, skiing, and shooting.  DOPE.  That is why you have to listen to whatever he says.

A friend told me that his friend was selling his bike.  I had to check it out!  This may be a surprise but I haven't fantasized about the type of motorcycle I wanted to buy.  He was selling a 2001 250 Ninja in red.  For some reason, I knew I didn't want a red bike.  Maybe because my BF has one.  I don't want to be one of those couples.  Just kidding, sort of.  Red isn't for me.  I made the appointment with the seller and had a hard time concentrating on work the next day because I was too excited.

Started raining that day (curse you weather gods!) so I knew that I'd be too nervous to test ride it.  I needed an experienced rider to go with me to stop me from making any stupid decisions so my BF came too.  Without further ado, here's the bike:



It had many scratches and cracks in the fairings.  Wasn't very "pretty" but the owner said it was mechanically solid, and I do think that is more important  He was a really cool guy and didn't pressure me into anything and was honest about it's "problems" and  history.  Thrilled to finally get close to a 250 Ninja, I sat on it.  Wow, it was light!!  Moved side to side and had no fear that it was going to topple over.  The riding position was also comfortable.  I was more upright as opposed to super sport racing position where you practically lay on top of the tank.  Tons of people and resources recommend the 250 Ninja as a beginner bike and after sitting on it, I was pretty sure that I wanted one.  The owner asked if I wanted to test ride it.  I looked outside at the shiny, wet pavement and unfamiliar road and said, "Uhh.  No thanks."  The three of us chatted for a good 30 minutes.  After looking at the bike for 5 minutes, I knew I was going to pass on it.  I heard that when you look at a bike, you just know when it's "the one."  If you don't feel it, pass on it.  Kind of a like a wedding dress.  Or a man...

Even though I didn't walk away with a purchase, I did learn a lot.  I learned about good questions to ask, importance of test driving a bike, things to look for physically, and going with my gut.  It was a fun experience!   Excited to look at more!  My next step is to go to a dealer.  Not to buy (they usually jack up the prices) but to sit on lots of motorcycles.  I'm getting really annoyed with all this rain...I WANT MY BIKE NOW!!!  Patience Liezl...patience.

Written 3/16/11

2 comments:

  1. If you don't feel it, pass on it. Kind of a like a wedding dress. Or a man...

    Interesting phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very best guide to evaluating a used motorcycle: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

    It's a lot to digest for a new rider (or those not mechanically inclined), but I've used it to evaluate several bikes with excellent results.

    Remember, it's more fun to ride a "slow" bike fast than a fast bike slow. Good luck on your search.

    ReplyDelete