From Expressway to Highway

Oh my goodness, the end of the summer is coming which means that my motorcycle trip is coming which means that I better be comfortable at riding!!  I made a goal for myself:  Before the end of July, I will have ridden on the highway.  If you're not from California, you may use the words "highway," "freeway," and "expressway" interchangeably.  Crazy-ass Bay Area has different definitions for all 3.  Here is my version for each:

Expressway - Two lane roads where the speed limit is 50mph, but you better hurry your ass up when you get on because the merge lane is short and you might get hit by a jerk that doesn't want to make space for you.  There will also be the occasional stop light.

Highway - Two lane roads where the speed limit is 55mph, no stop lights, and people either dangerously speed past you or dangerously crawl in front of you after they get into your lane.

Freeway - Big-ass roads where there are 4 or more lanes, ridiculously crowded during rush hour, and drivers are not looking out for motorcyclists.

So yesterday I rode on the highway for the first time!  As usual, I woke up early on a weekend (best advice ever) and headed for Highway 237.  I was unsure of how many RPMs my 250 Ninja could safely handle so I had my BF ride first with me on the back while I watched him switch gears and play with the throttle.  He merged on the highway and exited a couple of times before heading back home so I can try it myself.  It's really important for me to debrief after riding so I can get feedback or go over what I just learned.  Oh and to celebrate my successes of course!

Headed to the entrance, which is a 3-way stop with a yield sign for my side.  A car was approaching and my already nervous self stopped hard and my bike started to lean to one side like it was going down, but I was able to stabilize it.  Dangit!  We're not off to a good start.  The highway was pretty empty, which made me feel better as I began to merge.  I pushed my bike to 7000 rpms.  Vrooooommmm!!  I was not used to my bike making that sound, but apparently it's a "normal" sound.  All I remember was switching gears as fast as a could trying to keep it above 5000rpms.  I managed to do it, but by the time I was actually on the highway, I was only going 45mph...definitely not fast enough.  I bumped the speed up to 65mph, the fastest I've ever gone woohoo!  Felt pretty good.  At this speed, I can feel how light my bike and I are.  A strong gust of wind would be very bad news.  I exited, came to a yield sign, stopped hard, did the bike lean thing again...but didn't tip over.  Ugh!  Not feeling very good at this point.  I went forward and my bike started jerking.  Guess I forgot to put into 1st gear, AGAIN!  Enough of this...I'm going back home!  On the way there, I told myself to keep trying.  "You can twist the throttle more.  You don't want to go home feeling down.  You want to go home feeling proud."  Good ol' self talk again.  20 minutes later, I'm back on the highway with more confidence.  I really cranked on the throttle up to 8000rpms, switching faster, this time making it onto the highway at 55mph which is the actual limit.  Ye-YEAH!!!  I did it!!!  So glad I had a re-do.  Headed home feeling accomplished, proud, and adrenaline rushed.

Lessons learned:
 1.  My bike can handle much more rpms than I thought.  I shouldn't be afraid to go higher than 4000. 
 2.  I can do more than I think.  Stupid brain.  The more you know.  *cue shooting star*

Written on 7/24/11

3 comments:

  1. LOL. I think of that jingle everytime someone says "The more you know". Stupid advertising.

    Congrats on making it to the highway! I know this stuff is stressful, so I'm proud of you :D.

    Hopefully I can get a bike of my own (after learning how to ride of course :/) soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the love Thess! Sit on my bike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked liked an expert getting onto the highway the second time. The first time though, it took some time to merge onto the highway. But you can't expect to be an expert the first time.

    Remember Neo in the Matrix when he had to jump from one building to the next. Oh movies, the life lessons we learn from them.

    Anyways, good job sweetie!

    ReplyDelete